- nonstick cooking spray
- 4 corn tortillas
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 2 large red peppers (225g to 280g each), chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 jalapeños, seeded, very finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp pure ground chilli powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp dried origanum
- 450g lean ground beef
- 2 cans (410g each) chopped tomatoes
- ¾ cup grated low-fat Cheddar cheese
- 2 cos lettuce hearts, very thinly sliced (4 cups)
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Lightly coat a baking tray with cooking spray.
- Cut tortillas into 3cm by1cm strips. Spread evenly in prepared baking tray. Lightly coat tortillas with cooking spray. Sprinkle with ⅛ teaspoon salt. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool.
- Meanwhile, in a 30cm skillet, heat oil on medium high. Add red peppers and onion; cook for 7 minutes or until tender, stirring. Stir in jalapeños, garlic, chilli powder, cumin and origanum; cook for 1 minute. Add beef; cook for 3 minutes or until browned, stirring and breaking into small pieces. Add tomatoes, ¾ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to simmer for 10 minutes or until chilli has thickened, stirring.
- Divide tortillas among bowls. Top with chilli, Cheddar and cos lettuce.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter