- 570g sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1cm chunks
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 chipotle chillies in adobo, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp chilli powder salt
- 2 cans (400g each) chopped tomatoes 430g puréed canned tomatoes
- 2 cups fresh or frozen (thawed) shelled edamame
- 1 can (400g) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (400g) black beans, rinsed and drained grated cheddar cheese and sour cream, for ganish
1. In a microwave-safe glass baking dish, combine potatoes and 2 tbsp water. Cover with pierced plastic wrap and microwave on high for 12 minutes or until tender.
2. Meanwhile, in a 5l pot, heat oil on medium. Add onion, chipotles, garlic, cumin, chilli powder and 1⁄4 tsp salt. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add tomatoes and 2 cups water. Heat to simmering on high. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add sweet potatoes to pot along with edamame, pinto beans, black beans and 1⁄4 tsp salt. Cook for 2 to 5 minutes or until beans are hot. To serve, garnish with Cheddar and sour cream, if desired.