FOR THE PIE
- 410g (1 can) sliced pie apples, drained
- 125ml milk
- 57g unsalted butter
- 125g self-raising fl our
- 200g sugar
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
FOR THE GLAZE
- 60g butter
- 65ml milk
- 200g sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 45g flaked almonds
- clotted cream
- pomegranate seeds
- Maldon salt crystals
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Grease a deep pie dish generously with butter.
3. Arrange the apple slices in the pie dish.
4. Melt milk and butter over a low heat, stirring continuously, until the butter has melted and the mixture is heated through. Take care that it doesn't burn.
5. Combine flour and sugar in a bowl, then add milk mixture. Mix well.
6. Add one egg at a time and mix well, then stir in vanilla extract.
7. Pour the mixture over the apples and bake for 45minutes.
8. Prepare the glaze by melting the butter, milk, sugar and vanilla extract in a pot over alow heat. Once the butter and sugar have melted, remove from heat and add the flaked almonds.
9. During the last 15 minutes of cooking time, pour the glaze over the pie. Once it’s finished baking, remove from the oven and leave uncovered to cool.
10. Serve with clotted cream, a handful of pomegranate seeds and asprinkling of Maldon salt crystals.