- 4 green apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 125ml raisins or dried cranberries
- 15ml lemon zest
- 125ml sugar
- 5ml ground cinnamon
- 50g ground almonds
- 6 sheets phyllo pastry
- 100g butter, melted
- 25g extra butter
- 250ml fresh breadcrumbs
- icing sugar and whipped cream for serving
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Combine apples, raisins, lemon zest, sugar, cinnamon and ground almonds in a bowl and mix well.
- Lay a sheet of phyllo pastry on your work surface, brush with melted butter and top with another sheet.
- Continue brushing with butter and layering until all the sheets have been used.
- Heat the extra butter in a frying pan. Add breadcrumbs and fry until golden brown, then sprinkle them over the surface of the pastry.
- Place the apple mixture at one end of the pastry, leaving a 5cm border on top and about 2cm on each side.
- Fold the pastry over the filling to enclose it, then fold in the sides and roll the pastry up. Carefully lift it onto a baking tray and brush the top with melted butter.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until cooked and golden brown.
- Remove and cool slightly.
- Put on a plate and sift icing sugar on top. Serve with whipped cream.
TIPS: You can use either phyllo pastry or puff pastry; the first is slightly healthier. I enjoy adding my own touches, like different types of nuts. The original recipe didn’t have the raisins, but I think they add something to the taste.