- 1 loaf (about 450g)
- brioche bread, cut into 1,5cm-thick slices
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups evaporated milk
- 2 cups grated Gruyère
- cheese (about 230g) ¼ cup plus 1 tbsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- Leave slices of bread spread out on a rack or platter at room temperature for at least 2 hours or until slightly stale.
- Grease a 3ℓ baking dish and arrange bread in the dish, overlapping the slices slightly. In a bowl, whisk the eggs, evaporated milk, Gruyère, ¼ cup maple. syrup, cinnamon and 1/2 tsp each salt and black pepper until combined. Pour over the bread. With your hands, press down on the bread to submerge it. Cover the baking dish with clingfilm. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, then bring to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 190°C. Remove clingfilm, sprinkle bacon over the top of the bread mixture and bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until golden brown and set. Drizzle with remaining 1 tbsp maple syrup just before serving.
EACH SERVING About 1 720kJ, 18g protein, 33g carbohydrate, 23g fat (10g saturated).
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter