- 325g pack ready-rolled puff pastry
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 shallots, finely sliced
- 200g smoked chopped bacon
- 200g button mushrooms, halved if large
- 200g tenderstem broccoli, trimmed into shorter pieces
- 3 tbsp cornflour
- 600ml full-cream milk
- 2 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 125g frozen peas
- salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 220°C. Unroll pastry and cut into 4 equal rectangles (or smaller pie lids, if you prefer). Transfer pastry rectangles to a large baking tray, spacing slightly apart, prick well with a fork and bake for 20 minutes until puffed and golden.
2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and fry the shallots, bacon, mushrooms and broccoli for 8 to 10 minutes until the bacon is cooked and the veg are tender. Tip into a bowl and set aside.
3. Off the heat, put the cornflour in the empty pan and gradually whisk in the milk. (Don’t worry if the mixture is lumpy – it will become smooth during cooking.) Return pan to the heat and bring to the boil, whisking constantly until the mixture thickens. Add the mustard, peas and bacon mix to the pan. Heat through and check the seasoning. (Add a little water if the mixture is too thick.)
4. Divide filling among four plates, top each with a pastry rectangle and serve with a green salad.
EACH SERVING 2 690kJ, 23g protein, 40g fat (19g saturated), 44g carbohydrate (9g sugars), 6g fibre.