- 1 fully cooked bone-in smoked half ham (3,2 to 4kg), not sliced
- 2 cups root beer (try Frankie’s Old Style Root Beer) or ginger beer
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 3 tbsp fresh ginger, chopped and peeled
- 2 tbsp whole cloves
- 2 tbsp grainy mustard
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 160°C. Arrange rack in a large roasting pan. With tip of knife, make long cuts from top of ham to bottom, cutting through tough skin. Make second set of cuts perpendicular to first set to form diamond pattern all over ham. Place ham, cut side down, on rack.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk root beer, sugar, ginger and cloves. Pour over ham. Press 1 clove into centre of each diamond on ham. Cover with foil. Bake for 90 minutes.
3. Uncover; bake for another 60 to 90 minutes or until ham has reached 60°C, basting every 20 minutes. Pour drippings from pan into a medium bowl; whisk in mustard and lemon juice. Before slicing ham, remove and discard cloves. Serve ham with mustard sauce.
EACH SERVING: About 1 260kJ, 30g protein, 18g carbohydrate, 11g fat (4g saturated), 1 020mg sodium.