- 12 young leeks, washed and tops trimmed
- 12 slices Parma ham or back bacon
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 500g new potatoes, cooked and roughly mashed
- 1 cup freshly grated Gruyère cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups cream
- 2 tsp rosemary, chopped 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tbsp Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp fresh breadcrumbs
- Place leeks in a shallow pan of boiling water and cook for 6 minutes; remove and drain.
- Lay a slice of ham on a flat surface, top with a leek, season with salt and pepper, and wrap it up. Repeat with the rest of ham and leeks.
- Butter a large baking dish. Pile potatoes on base, season and top with leeks.
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Mix the Gruyère, cream, rosemary, egg yolks and nutmeg, and season to taste. Pour over the leeks. Sprinkle over the Parmesan and breadcrumbs, and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until bubbling and golden.
Tip: Serve with a mixed baby-leaf salad as a vegetarian meal without the meaty bits!
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter