- 230g (2 cups) whole-wheat penne pasta
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 cans (410g each) Italian whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 cans (400g each) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup vegetable stock pepper
- 300g frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- ½ cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano, or any other hard, grating cheese
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Heat a large pot of water to boiling on high. Add pasta and cook for 2 minutes less than label instructs.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot, heat oil on medium. Add onion and celery, and cook for 9 to 10 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Drain canned tomatoes and reserve juice. Chop tomatoes.
- Into mixture in pot, stir tomatoes with their juice, beans, stock and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Heat to boiling on high. Reduce heat to medium. Stir in spinach.
- Reserve ¼ cup pasta cooking water. Drain pasta and return to pot. Add bean mixture, reserved water and ¼ cup cheese. Toss until well mixed. Transfer to medium- sized glass or ceramic baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake for 15 minutes or until centre is hot and top is golden.
EACH SERVING About 1 465kJ, 20g protein, 65g carbohydrate, 6g total fat (2g saturated), 14g ﬁbre, 7mg cholesterol, 945mg sodium.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter