- 400g asparagus, trimmed and cut in half
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 375g ciabatta, cut into 2cm slices 300g mature Cheddar, grated
- 12 large free-range eggs, lightly beaten
- 900ml full-cream milk salt and pepper
- 4 tbsp chives, finely chopped 250g frozen peas
- 150g soft goat’s cheese, torn 1 small onion, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp red-wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 tsp salt
- 1⁄4 tsp sugar
- 550g mixed or cherry tomatoes, sliced
- Grease 6 x 300ml gratin dishes. In a pot of boiling water, blanch asparagus for 1 minute, drain and plunge into iced water to refresh. Drain again, toss in 1 tbsp olive oil and set aside.
- Divide ciabatta among gratin dishes. Scatter with 1⁄3 of Cheddar.
- Whisk together eggs and milk with plenty of seasoning. Stir in 3 tbsp chives. Divide half egg mixture among each of dishes. Scatter over asparagus ends, another 1⁄3 of Cheddar and half the peas. Set aside for 10 minutes for bread to soak up egg mixture. Scatter over remaining Cheddar and peas, then poke in the asparagus tips. Pour over remaining egg mixture and dot with goat’s cheese. Set aside for at least an hour to let ciabatta soak up egg mixture.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Bake in middle of oven for 30 to 35 minutes until just set, puffed and golden.
- Meanwhile, mix onion with red-wine vinegar, salt and sugar. Set aside. Arrange tomatoes on a serving plate. Just before serving, whisk remaining oil with onion mix, check seasoning and sprinkle on tomatoes. Scatter over remaining chives. Serve strata immediately with tomato salad.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter