- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra to garnish
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 300g pearl barley
- 50ml white wine
- 1,3l hot vegetable stock
- 500g butternut, roughly chopped
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 2 thyme sprigs, leaves picked
- large handful rocket leaves
- Parmesan-style cheese shavings, to garnish (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 220°C. Heat half the oil in a large pot over a medium heat. Fry the onion for 10 minutes or until soft. Stir in the barley and fry for 1 minute, then pour in the wine and stock. Bring to the boil and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 to 35 minutes or until the stock is absorbed and the barley is creamy and tender. (Add a little more water and cook for a few more minutes if the barley is a little too firm for your liking.)
2. Meanwhile, put the butternut and pepper on a large baking tray, drizzle over the remaining oil and season well. Roast the vegetables for 20 to 25 minutes in the oven until tender.
3. Stir the thyme and roasted vegetables through the risotto and check the seasoning. Fold through the rocket and serve immediately, garnished with extra oil and some cheese shavings, if you like.
EACH SERVING About 1 670kJ, 7g fat (1g saturated), 79g carbohydrate (10g total sugars), 8g protein, 3g fibre.