- 1 cup brown rice
- 340g beef fillet, thinly sliced across grain
- 1 tbspn plus 1 tsp lower sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 3 peppers (preferably red, yellow and orange), thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 ripe tomatoes, cored and cut into 1,2cm wedges
- Prepare brown rice as label directs.
- In a bowl, combine fillet, 1 teaspoon soy sauce, ½ teaspoon sugar and ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.
- In a medium-sized frying pan, heat 1 teaspoon oil on medium-high. Add fillet in a single layer. Cook, without stirring, for 1 minute. Transfer to plate; return pan to medium-high heat without cleaning.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan. Add peppers and garlic; stir-fry for 4 to 5 minutes or until crisp but tender. Add tomatoes and remaining sugar. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until saucy, stirring. Return fillet to pan; add ¼ teaspoon black pepper and the remaining soy sauce. Cook for 1 minute, stirring. Serve over rice.
EACH SERVING About 1 193kJ, 23g protein, 27g carbohydrate,10g total fat (3g saturated), 3g ﬁbre, 34mg cholesterol, 235mg sodium.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter