- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 500g extra-lean beef mince
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1 large stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 small onion (100g to 200g), finely chopped
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp ground coriander
- pinch paprika
- 2 x 410g canned chopped tomatoes
- 400g whole-wheat penne
- 1 cup packed fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- Heat a covered 6-litre pot of water to boiling on high. Add 2 teaspoons salt.
- In a 30cm frying pan, heat oil on high. Add mince in an even layer. Sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon each salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cook for 2 minutes or until browned; stir, breaking into pieces.
- Add carrot, celery and onion. Cook for 5 minutes or until tender and golden, stirring occasionally. Add cumin, coriander and paprika. Cook for 30 seconds, stirring. Stir in tomatoes; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to maintain a steady simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add penne to boiling water. Cook for 1 minute less than minimum time on label instructs. Drain; return to pot. Stir in tomato sauce; cook on medium for 2 minutes or until pasta is al dente and well coated, stirring. Stir in mint and ¼ teaspoon each salt and black pepper.
Each Serving About 1 610kJ, 27g protein, 58g carbohydrate, 6g total fat (2g saturated), 8g fibre, 47mg cholesterol.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter