- 30ml (2 tbsp) butter or margarine
- 125ml white sugar
- 1 extra-large egg
- 15ml (1 tbsp) apricot jam
- 5ml (1 tsp) bicarbonate of soda
- 125ml (1⁄2 cup) milk
- 250ml (1 cup) cake flour
- pinch of salt
- 15ml (1 tbsp) vinegar
- 125g butter or margarine
- 185ml (3⁄4 cup) white sugar
- 65ml (1⁄4 cup) water
- 185ml (3⁄4 cup) cream
- 5ml (1 tsp) vanilla essence
1. Cream the butter and sugar together, then beat in the egg until light and fluffy.
2. Beat in the apricot jam.
3. Dissolve the bicarbonate of soda in the milk.
4. Sift the flour and salt together, and add to the creamed mixture alternately with the milk.
5. Lastly, stir in the vinegar.
6. Pour into a deep round dish, about 19cm in diameter. Cover the dish with a lid or foil and bake for 30 to 40 minutes at 180°C.
1. To make the sauce, bring the butter, sugar and water to the boil and simmer for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
2. Remove from the stove, then add the cream and vanilla. Pour over the hot baked pudding.