- 50g dark chocolate
- pinch of salt
- 3 tbsp cream or coconut cream
- 200g organic brown sugar or honey
- 3 free-range eggs
- 100ml coconut oil
- 100ml olive oil
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato (roughly 240g when cooked)
- 3 heaped dessertspoons cocoa powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1½ cups gluten-free flour
- butter and flour, to grease tins
1. Preheat oven to 155°C.
2. Combine the first 3 ingredients and melt in a bain-marie (or in a bowl, over another bowl with hot water) and stir until smooth. Set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, mix the sugar, eggs and both oils. Beat with a stand or hand mixer until the mixture has thickened and lightened a little.
4. Add the sweet potato to the egg and sugar mixture, and fold in.
5. Add the chocolate cream and mix until incorporated.
6. One by one, mix in the cocoa powder, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and gluten-free flour.
7. Place mixture into 2 buttered and floured small to medium cake tins and bake in the oven for about 40 minutes, until the cake springs back to the touch and a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. Ice and decorate as desired.