- ¾ cup butter, softened
- 3 tbsp white sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1⅓ cups cake flour
- 6 large egg yolks
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 6 tbsp cake flour (not self-raising)
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2¼ cups full-cream milk
- 1 vanilla bean, split
- ½ tsp almond extract
- ½ cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Blueberries, raspberries, blackberries (or other berries)
- Small mint leaves
- Edible camomile or similar flowers
- Icing sugar
- Make crust: preheat oven to 180°C. Spray 6 (12cm-wide) mini tartlet pans with removable bottoms (see NOTE, below) with baking spray.
- In a medium bowl, with mixer on a high speed, beat butter, white sugar and salt until smooth and creamy. Beat in egg yolk, then flour, until just combined. If dough is too soft to handle, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Divide dough into 6 equal mounds. With lightly floured hands, press into bottoms and up sides of prepared tartlet pans in an even layer; place pans on baking tray.
- Cover each tartlet with a small piece of baking paper; add enough dried beans to fill bottoms. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden. Remove baking paper and beans; bake for another 5 to 8 minutes or until golden brown. Cool tartlet shells completely on a wire rack.
- Make pastry cream: meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk egg yolks, white sugar, cake flour and salt until smooth.
- In a 3ℓ pot, heat milk on medium-high until steaming and bubbles form around edge; remove from heat. To egg mixture, add a splash of hot milk until smooth, whisking. Continue slowly adding and whisking in hot milk until half of milk is incorporated. Whisk in remaining hot milk until mixture is smooth. Return egg mixture to pot. Cook on medium for 5 to 7 minutes or until very thick and bubbling, whisking constantly. Remove from heat.
- Scrape seeds from vanilla and whisk into pastry cream, along with almond extract. Using a medium-mesh sieve, strain pastry cream into a medium bowl, pushing through with a rubber spatula. Discard any solids. Cover cream with plastic, pressing against surface. Refrigerate until cold (about 2 hours).
- Divide almonds among bottoms of tartlet shells. Spread or pipe chilled pastry cream into tartlet shells. Top one-third of surface of tartlets with berries, mint and flowers. Dust lightly with icing sugar.
- EACH SERVING: About 2 620kJ, 12g protein, 66g carbohydrate, 36g fat (19g saturated), 1g fibre, 395mg sodium.
- NOTE: May be prepared as one full-size tart: use one 22cm tart pan with removable bottom. Do not divide dough into 6 pieces. Bake tart with beans for 20 to 30 minutes or until golden.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter