- 3 chicken breasts on the bone, skin and all fat removed
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp each cumin seeds and red chilli powder
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 3 cardamom pods
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- 1 green chilli, chopped (optional)
- 1 cup plain low-fat yoghurt or buttermilk
- 2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1 cup uncooked brown lentils
- 3 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp sunflower oil
- 3 onions, thinly sliced
- ½ cup boiling water
- Marinade Cut chicken breasts into chunky pieces. Mix all the marinade ingredients together.
- Stir chicken into marinade and leave to stand for 1 hour or overnight.
- Rice Place rice, ½ teaspoon salt, cinnamon and cardamom with enough water in a pot. Simmer until the rice is cooked and drain.
- Meanwhile, cook lentils in a separate pot with enough water until tender and drain.
- Boil potatoes with the remaining ½ teaspoon salt and a pinch of the turmeric until tender. Drain.
- Heat oil in a large pot and fry onions until tender. Keep half the onions for garnish.
- Add chicken to onions in the pot and fry for a few minutes. Add marinade, reduce heat and cover with a lid. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Place potatoes in a layer over the chicken. Spoon the lentils and rice in layers on top.
- Mix the turmeric with boiling water and pour over the rice.
- Spoon the fried onions on top. Cover with a lid and steam over a very low heat for 15 minutes or until warmed through.
- Serve with fresh coriander, a spoonful of low-fat yoghurt and salad.
- Season to taste.
This recipe, by Mumtaz Abdool, is taken from Cooking From The Heart, a cookery book compiled by food consultant Heleen Meyer. Pick up your free copy at Clicks.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter