Recipe IngredientsFor The Pastry
- 100g plain flour, plus extra to dust
- 125g rye flour
- 175g unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
- 50g caster sugar
- 1 large egg, separated
- 1½ tbsp cold water
- 600ml double cream
- 300ml sour cream
- 9 large egg yolks
- 100g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 125g blueberries
- icing sugar, optional, to dust
- Make pastry: in a large bowl, mix flours. Rub in butter with fingertips until it resembles breadcrumbs. Mix in caster sugar, then egg yolk and water until pastry comes together. Knead briefly. To make pastry in a food processor: pulse butter and flours until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Pulse in caster sugar. Mix yolk and water; add to processor and pulse until pastry clumps together. Remove from processor bowl; knead briefly.
- On a floured surface roll out pastry to line a 4cm depp 23cm round fluted tin. (Wrap and reserve any spare pastry at room temperature.) Chill lined tin for 30minutes.
- Preheat oven to 190 °C. Line pastry with baking paper and fill with baking beans. Put on a baking sheet; blind bake for 18 to 20 minutes until pastry sides are set. Carefully remove paper and beans. Patch up any areas with reserved pastry if needed. Brush pastry with some egg white and return to oven for 2 minutes until firm and glossy.
- Lower oven temperature to 140 °C. In a small pot, mix creams and bring to the boil. Meanwhile, in a medium heatproof bowl, mix egg yolks and caster sugar. Gradually pour in hot cream mixture, whisking all the time. Strain through a sieve into a jug and stir in vanilla. Tip: freeze leftover egg whites in suitable bags, ready to defrost for meringues or soufflés.
- Carefully pour custard into pastry case (still in tin); lightly scatter over blueberries (so they float). Bake in oven for 1 hour 5 minutes to 1 hour 10 minutes until custard is just set but has a slight wobble if tin is tapped. Cool in tin on wire rack.
- Transfer tart to a serving plate, dust lightly with icing sugar (if you like) and serve at room temperature.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter