- 500ml cake flour
- 200ml white sugar
- 15ml baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 1ml cinnamon
- 100g butter, cut into cubes
- 125ml full-cream milk
- 1 egg 5ml vanilla essence
- 125g fresh blueberries
- milk for glazing
1. Preheat oven to 200°C.
2. Sift dry ingredients together.
3. Rub butter into flour mixture until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
4. Mix the milk, egg and vanilla essence together.
5. Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients. Mix, then add the blueberries. Do not overmix.
6. Turn out onto a floured surface and press the mixture lightly together.
7. Cut out scones with a 7cm cookie cutter and place them on a greased baking tray.
8. Brush with milk and bake for 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown.
9. Transfer scones to a wire rack to cool slightly.
TIPS: Glaze with milk before or after baking. If you do this before baking, the scones get a ‘rock bun’ kinda look. If you do it after baking, you get scones with a smooth surface. If blueberries are not in season, use frozen ones.