- salt and pepper
- 450g beef mince
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 900g beetroot, well scrubbed (peeled if large) and shredded
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tbsp apple-cider vinegar
- 450g linguine
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill, plus additional for garnish
- Put water on to boil in a medium to large pot. Add 2 teaspoons of salt.
- Heat a 30cm frying pan on medium-high until hot. Add beef, ⅛ teaspoon of cloves and ¼ teaspoon each of salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cook for 3 minutes or until browned, stirring and breaking beef into very small pieces.
- Add beetroot, water and ¼ teaspoon of salt. Cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until beetroot is tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in vinegar.
- Meanwhile, add pasta to boiling water in pot. Cook for 1 minute less than minimum time on instructions, stirring occasionally. Reserve 1 cup of the pasta cooking water. Drain pasta and return to pot.
- Add beetroot mixture, dill, ¼ teaspoon each of salt and freshly ground black pepper and remaining cloves to pot. Cook on medium for 2 minutes or until pasta is al dente and well coated, tossing and stirring. lf mixture seems dry, toss with additional cooking water. To serve, garnish with dill.
Tip: Use a food processor’s shredding blade to shred the beetroot; it’s fast and virtually mess-free.
Serving suggestion: Crumble goats’-milk cheese or feta on top.
Each serving contains: About 2 080kJ, 27g protein, 67g carbohydrate, 15g total fat (6g saturated), 12g fibre, 50mg cholesterol, 520mg sodium.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter