- 1 pineapple
- sugar (brown or white)
- 6 bananas
- ice cream (or cream or crème fraîche)
- golden syrup or honey
Recipe DirectionsWho says you can’t make dessert on a braai? Braai temperature medium coals
- Remove skin from the pineapple and cut into six slices of even thickness. Coat both sides of each pineapple slice in sugar by either dipping it in sugar or sprinkling sugar over both sides. The bananas are braaied as is, unpeeled and in their skins.
- Braai the pineapple slices and bananas over medium coals. The bananas are ready when they are completely black all over, and the pineapple is ready when the sugar has caramelised. This will take approximately 3 to 5 minutes for each side.
- Remove from the fire and slice deep into the bananas along the inside curve. Open up the bananas by pressing simultaneously on both ends. Each banana should now look like a canoe.
- Put one banana and one pineapple slice in each dessert bowl and place a scoop of ice cream into each banana. Cream or crème fraîche also works. Drizzle golden syrup or honey over the contents of each bowl and serve immediately.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter