- 8 chicken drumsticks (about 800g)
- 285ml buttermilk salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 750ml sunflower oil
- 150g cake flour
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp fresh garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp dried thyme
FOR THE BEANS
- 2 x 400g cans baked beans
- 1 tbsp barbecue sauce
- 1 tbsp soya sauce
1. Put chicken pieces in a large bowl. Stir through the buttermilk and season. Cover and chill for 5 hours.
2. When ready, half-fill a deep-fat fryer with oil, or add 750ml to a medium pot and heat to 140°C. Stir together the flour, cayenne pepper, garlic, thyme and some seasoning and tip onto a plate. Keeping as much buttermilk on the chicken as possible, start by dipping half the drumsticks into the flour to coat completely.
3. Lower them into the hot oil. Cook for 15 minutes until golden, crispy and cooked through. (Finish in the oven if necessary.) Drain on paper towel, season with salt and loosely cover with foil to keep warm. Repeat coating and cooking with remaining chicken.
4. While the final batch of chicken is cooking, heat the beans in a pan with the barbecue and soya sauces until very hot. Serve chicken with the beans.
EACH SERVING 2 640kJ, 24g fat (5g saturated), 59g carbohydrate (16g total sugars).
You can fry the drumsticks up to 5 hours ahead. Cool, cover and chill. Reheat in a preheated oven at 200°C for 15 to 20 minutes until piping hot.