- 350g whole-wheat fusilli
- 550g diced butternut
- 1⁄2 cup roasted almonds
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, plus additional for garnish
- 1 tsp freshly grated lemon peel
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus additional for garnish
1. Heat a large covered pot of salted water to boiling on high. Add fusilli and butternut, and cook for the time suggested on the pasta label.
2. Meanwhile, in a food processor with knife blade attached, pulse almonds and garlic until finely chopped. Add basil, lemon peel, 1⁄2 teaspoon salt and 1⁄8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper. Pulse until finely chopped.
3. Remove 2⁄3 cup pasta cooking water from pot. With processor running, add oil and pasta water in a slow, steady stream. Add Parmesan and pulse until incorporated into pesto.
4. Drain pasta and butternut. Return to pot along with pesto. Toss until well coated. Garnish with basil and additional Parmesan,
Each Serving: About 2 590kJ, 25g protein, 80g carbohydrate, 28g total fat (4g saturated), 17g fibre, 9mg cholesterol.