- 12 rashers of streaky bacon, diced
- 700g cabbage, shredded
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 120ml double cream
- 2 egg yolks
- salt and pepper
- Parmesan cheese, shaved
- Fry bacon in a frying pan until all the fat is rendered.
- Remove the cooked bacon from the pan and place on a plate.
- Sauté the cabbage in the bacon fat until it’s tender but not mushy – about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and the cream (reserve 10ml for the eggs), and simmer until the mixture thickens.
- Whisk the egg yolks with the reserved cream.
- Remove the dish from the heat, add the egg-yolk mixture and bacon, and stir well.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Top with shavings of Parmesan and serve.
‘Choosing fattier bacon, as opposed to lean, is going to give you that magnificent fat from which lard comes. Fatty bacon will help you absorb fat-soluble nutrients, it adds more protein to a dish that doesn’t have that much protein and, of course, it imparts a delicious taste.’