- 200g caster sugar
- 190ml sunflower oil
- 2 eggs
- 155g cake flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 15g cocoa powder
- 70g beetroot, boiled
- 60ml milk
- ½ tsp of red liquid food colouring
- 100g cream cheese
- 30g mascarpone cheese
- 100g to 150g icing sugar (depending on how sweet you like your icing)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Combine the caster sugar, oil and eggs. Beat well.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the cake flour with the bicarbonate of soda and cocoa powder.
- Grate the beetroot (drain excess liquid if necessary) and mix the grated beetroot with the milk. Add the food colouring.
- Combine all the ingredients together and beat for a minute at medium speed.
- Pour the mixture into a baking tin lined with silicone paper and bake for about 45 minutes, or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- To make, mix all the ingredients together.
Assembling the cake:
Cool the cake and layer with the icing. You could frost the top with the icing and decorate with fresh seasonal berries and red rose petals. If you don’t have fresh berries on hand, serve the cake with a berry coulis. I’ve used a white-chocolate- paste collar to decorate the cake. I’ve also used fruit and berries like figs, blackberries and strawberries, as well as red roses.
Contact: www.annicascakes.co.za or 011 326 1526.