- 3 extra-large eggs x 2
- 10ml vanilla essence x 2
- 175ml oil x 2
- pinch of cream of tartar x 2
- 2 cups cake flour x 2
- 15ml baking powder x 2
- 1 cup sugar x 2
- 175ml water x 2
- 30ml good-quality cocoa powder
- 250g butter
- 500g icing sugar
- vanilla essence
- 30ml cocoa
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Spray the cake tin with nonstick spray and put wax paper at the bottom of the tin.
- Separate the egg yolks from the whites.
- Add vanilla essence to the oil.
- Add a pinch of cream of tartar to the egg whites.
- Mix flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt together.
- Beat the sugar, water and egg yolks on maximum speed for about one minute.
- Add the oil to the mixture and mix for another minute.
- Reduce the speed to low and add the flour mixture.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks.
- Finally, gently fold the egg whites into the mixture.
- Repeat the recipe and add 30ml cocoa powder to the dry ingredients to make a chocolate mixture.
- Pour the vanilla mixture into the tin, swirl the chocolate mixture through it and bake for about 60 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the tin and leave it to cool.
- Cut the cake into three layers.
- Ice the first layer with vanilla icing and the second with chocolate icing.
- Beat the butter until it’s pale.
- Add icing sugar bit by bit.
- Add vanilla essence.
- Divide the icing in half.
- Add 30ml of cocoa to one batch.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter