- 110g pecans, toasted and chopped
- 390g cake flour
- 400g sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 large eggs
- 180ml sunflower oil
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 cups ripe, mashed bananas
- 1 tin crushed pineapple (227g)
Italian meringue frosting:
- 120ml cold water
- 300g sugar
- ½ tsp cream of tartar
- 4 large egg whites
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, mix all the wet ingredients.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones, and mix well.
- Divide between two 23cm cake tins lined with wax paper or buttered and floured.
- Bake for about 30 minutes.
- Test with a wooden skewer to see if they are ready. If the skewer comes out clean, the cake is ready.
- When baked and cooled, the cake can be sandwiched with a cream-cheese frosting or vanilla butter cream.
- Place the water, sugar and cream of tartar in a pan and bring to the boil to make sugar syrup.
- Boil until 116°C.
- Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks, then add the sugar syrup slowly while mixing it.
- Mix until thick and cooled.
- Spread over the cake with a palette knife, making sure you cover the cake completely.
- Decorate with whitechocolate flakes or make chocolate ‘feathers’ or curls.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter