FOR THE CAKE
- 290g cake fl our
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- 260g grated carrot
- 200g white sugar
- 120g treacle sugar
- 6 tbsp butter, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup buttermilk
- cooking spray
FOR THE ICING
- 170g cream cheese
- 30g fromage frais
- 2 tbsp butter, softened
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- 345g icing sugar
- 30g chopped pecan nuts, toasted
1. Preheat oven to 180°C and grease a 20cm springform cake tin with cooking spray.
2. Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a medium-sized bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add grated carrot and toss to combine.
3. Place the white and brown sugar and butter in a large bowl. Beat with a mixer at a medium speed until combined.
4. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition, then stir in the vanilla extract.
5. Add the flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to the sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
6. Spread the batter into the cake tin and bake for 28minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave on a wire rack to cool completely.
7. To prepare the icing, place the cream cheese, fromage frais, butter, vanilla extract and salt in a medium bowl. Beat with a mixer at a medium speed until fluffy.
8. Gradually add icing sugar, beating at a medium speed until combined. (Don’t overbeat it.)
9. Spread the icing evenly over the cake, and sprinkle with toasted pecan nuts.