FOR THE CAKE
- 500ml cake flour, sifted
- 5ml salt
- 10ml baking powder
- 7ml bicarbonate of soda, sifted
- 15ml ground cinnamon
- 500ml sugar
- 375ml oil
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 500ml carrot, finely grated
- 250ml canned crushed pineapple, drained
- 250ml walnuts, finely chopped
- 250ml desiccated coconut
- 125ml poppy seeds
FOR THE ICING
- 125ml butter
- 250g cream cheese
- 5ml vanilla extract
- 750ml icing sugar
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Combine the first 5 ingredients in a bowl.
3. In another large bowl, stir the sugar, oil and eggs together and then add the carrot, pineapple, walnuts, coconut and poppy seeds. Mix together well.
4. Now fold the first 5 ingredients into the fruit mix.
5. Turn the batter out into a greased and floured 23cm x 33cm cake pan or 800g loaf tin.
6. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until firm and risen, and receding from sides of pan. Cool briefly in the pan, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely before icing.
7. To make the icing, first beat the butter until softened, then beat in, in turn, the cream cheese, vanilla extract and icing sugar until smooth.
TIP: Do not overmix the batter; treat it like muffin mix for a wonderfully textured cake.