- 550g peeled butternut, cut into 4 large chunks
- 200g thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- ⅔ cup evaporated milk
- 6 large fresh sage leaves, chopped
- 450g cavatappi pasta
- ½ cup coarsely grated
- Pecorino cheese
- Heat a large covered pot of salted water to boiling on high. Coarsely grate butternut.
- In a 30cm frying pan, cook bacon on a medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until it is crisp, stirring occasionally. With a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to a small plate. Drain and discard all but 2 tbsp of fat from the frying pan.
- To the same frying pan, add garlic and chilli flakes. Cook for 30 seconds, stirring. Add butternut and ¼ tsp salt. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring and mashing frequently. Stir in evaporated milk and sage. Cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- While butternut cooks, cook pasta as label instructs. Reserve ½ cup cooking water. Drain pasta well; return to pot. Add bacon, butternut mixture, Pecorino, reserved cooking water and ½ tsp salt, tossing until well coated.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter