- 200g cooked skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 200g frozen mixed vegetables
- 300g can cream of tomato soup
- 175g self-raising flour, plus extra to dust
- ½ tbsp baking powder
- 50g mature Cheddar cheese, grated
- 75ml milk, plus extra to brush
- 1 medium egg, lightly beaten
- ½ tbsp vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 200°C. In a medium bowl, stir together the cooked chicken, frozen vegetables, soup and some seasoning. Pour the mixture into a 1-litre shallow ovenproof dish and set aside.
- Sift flour, baking powder and a large pinch of salt into a large bowl. Stir in most of the cheese. Beat milk, egg and oil together in a separate bowl.
- Pour milk texture into the flour bowl and use a knife to bring it together until the dough forms clumps. Add a splash of milk if it looks too dry.
- Tip the dough onto a lightly floured surface and pat it into a rough 9cm x 15cm rectangle. Cut the rectangle into eight equal squares, then arrange the scone on top of the chicken mixture. Brush each scone with a little milk, then sprinkle over the remaining cheese.
- Cook in the oven for 20 minutes or until scones are risen and golden, and the filling is bubbling and piping hot. Serve immediately.
EACH SERVING 1 562kJ, 12g fat (4g saturated), 42g carbohydrates (5g total sugars).
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter