- 400g can green lentils
- 3 skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra to brush
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 2,5cm piece fresh root ginger, peeled and grated finely
- grated zest of 1⁄2 orange
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 50g ground almonds
- 25g flaked almonds
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 50g sultanas
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 sheets phyllo pastry, each about 30cm x 38cm
1. Drain and rinse lentils, then leave to drip-dry. Put chicken into a pot and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil, simmer for 10 minutes, then cool in the water for about 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a large, deep frying pan, heat oil and gently cook onion for 10 minutes until softened. Take off heat and stir in the ginger, orange, parsley, ground and flaked almonds, cinnamon, sultanas, drained lentils and plenty of seasoning.
3. Lift chicken out of the water, pat dry with kitchen paper and chop finely. Add to the onion mixture and check the seasoning.
4. Preheat oven to 200°C. Taking one piece of phyllo at a time (covering the rest so they don’t dry out), brush the top with oil, then fold in half lengthways. Put 1⁄8 of the chicken filling on the left-hand side of the strip, 2,5cm from the edge, and shape into a square. Fold the left, top and bottom sides over the filling, then flip over onto the empty strip. Keep flipping to make a square parcel. Transfer to a baking sheet and brush top with oil. Repeat with remaining phyllo and filling.
5. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until crisp and golden. Serve with a salad.
EACH PASTILLA About 1 260kJ, 10g fat (1g saturated), 30g carbohydrate (6g total sugars), 22g protein, 3g fibre.