- 1 tsp oil
- 3 skinless chicken breasts (about 500g), cut into bite-sized pieces
- 25g butter
- 25g cake flour
- 200ml double cream
- 200ml chicken stock
- 150g asparagus, roughly chopped into 4cm pieces
- 150g frozen peas
- finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- small handful fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 320g sheet ready-rolled puff pastry
- 1 medium egg, beaten
1. Preheat oven to 200°C.
2. Heat oil in a large pan and fry chicken for 8 minutes until golden. Tip chicken out onto a plate and set aside.
3. Heat butter in empty chicken pan until melted, stir in flour, then cook for a further minute. Remove from heat and gradually whisk in cream and stock until smooth. Put back on the heat, bring mixture to the boil and bubble for 3 minutes, stirring constantly, until thickened. Stir in chicken, asparagus, peas, zest and parsley, and check the seasoning.
4. Spoon mixture into a 2l ovenproof serving dish. Unroll puff pastry and position over top of dish to cover. (Trim if needed.) Brush pastry well with some of the egg, then cook for 25 to 30 minutes in the oven until pastry is golden and puffed up. Serve.
EACH SERVING 2 390kJ, 38g fat (23g saturated), 27g carbohydrate (2g total sugars).