- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 ¾ cups water
- 3 tbsp sliced almonds
- 3 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 450g chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 tsp fresh origanum leaves, chopped, plus sprigs for garnish
- 250g Roma tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 can (400g) white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- In a medium pot, heat quinoa and 1 ¾ cups of water to boiling; reduce heat to medium. Cover; cook for 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Stir in almonds.
- Meanwhile, in a large pan, heat 2 teaspoons of oil on medium for 1 minute. Season chicken with ¼ teaspoon each of salt and pepper; add to pan. Cook for 7 minutes or till browned on both sides, turning once. Transfer to a plate.
- To the pan, add onion, 2 teaspoons of origanum and remaining oil; cook for 3 minutes, stirring. Stir in tomatoes and garlic; cook for 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in beans, ¼ teaspoon of salt and remaining ¼ cup of water. Cook for 2 minutes. Add chicken; cook for 3 minutes or until no longer pink in centre. Remove from heat; stir in remaining origanum.
- Divide quinoa among serving plates; top with ragu and chicken. Garnish with origanum sprigs.
Each Serving About 1 885kJ, 40g protein, 51g carbohydrate, 10g total fat (1g saturated), 9g fibre, 70mg cholesterol, 398mg sodium.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter