- 8 chicken thighs and 8 chicken drumsticks
- coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, fi nely diced
- 1 celery stalk, fi nely diced
- 250g mushrooms, cut into quarters
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup white wine
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 sprigs fresh fl at-leaf parsley
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cans Nestlé IDEAL Unsweetened Evaporated Low Fat Milk
- 2 tbsp to 3 tbsp fresh Italian parsley, chopped, to garnish (optional)
1. Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. Place the butter and oil in a large pot. When the butter melts, fry the chicken in batches, making sure you brown it on both sides. Set aside.
2. To the same pot, add the onion, carrot, celery and mushrooms, and cook until soft and light brown.
3. Stir in the fl our and cook until the flour is absorbed by the vegetables and is no longer visible. Pour in the wine and broth, and bring to the boil, stirring until liquid just thickens. Add the herbs and the cans of Nestlé IDEAL Unsweetened Evaporated Low Fat Milk, and stir to combine. Leave to thicken on a low heat, stirring occasionally (about 5 to 10 minutes).
4. Add the browned chicken to the pot and gently stir into the sauce until combined.
5. Leave to cook over a gentle heat for about 30 minutes until the chicken is cooked.
6. Serve with rice and garnish with Italian parsley, if you like.