- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 carrots, trimmed and roughly chopped
- 2 celery sticks, trimmed and roughly chopped
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 500g chicken-breast mince
- 150ml red wine
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 150ml strong chicken stock
- large handful fresh basil leaves, torn
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tbsp plain flour
- 600ml skimmed milk
- 9 dried lasagne sheets
- 125g ball mozzarella, torn into pieces
1. In a food processor, whizz the chopped onion, carrots and celery until finely chopped. Heat 2 tbsp of the oil in a large pot and fry the veg for 5 minutes or until softened. Turn up the heat, add mince and fry for 8 to 10 minutes until lightly golden. Add the wine and simmer for 5 minutes.
2. Stir in tomatoes and stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in the basil and check seasoning.
3. For the white sauce, heat remaining oil in a small pot and stir in flour. Cook for 30 seconds, take off the heat and gradually whisk in milk. Return to the heat and bring to the boil, stirring constantly. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened and glossy. Check seasoning.
4. Preheat oven to 200°C. Spoon a third of the mince mixture into the base of a 2l ovenproof dish. Cover with three lasagne sheets and a little white sauce. Repeat twice more, finishing with a layer of white sauce.
5. Dot over the mozzarella and cook for 30 to 35 minutes until bubbling and golden. (Cover with foil if the cheese browns too quickly.) Serve immediately, with a salad.
EACH SERVING About 3 000kJ, 23g fat (8g saturated), 78g carbohydrate (20g total sugars), 53g protein, 5g fibre.