- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 skinless chicken breasts, cut into finger-size strips
- 2 peppers, yellow, orange or red, deseeded and finely sliced
- 250g mushrooms, sliced
- 50g tomato purée
- 1 tbsp dried origanum
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 350g fresh tagliatelle
- 3 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1⁄2 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat and fry chicken until golden and cooked through (8 to 10 minutes). Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
2. Bring a large pot of water to the boil, ready for the pasta.
3. Heat the remaining oil in the empty frying pan and add the peppers and mushrooms. Fry for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add the tomato purée, origanum and garlic, and fry for a further 1 minute. Stir in a splash of water to loosen the mixture, then return the chicken to the pan. Take off heat when mixture is piping hot.
4. Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the instructions on the packet. Drain (reserving a cupful of the pasta cooking water) and add to the chicken mixture. Add the spring onions and chilli, and stir to combine. (Add some of the reserved pasta water if you prefer a looser consistency.) Check the seasoning and serve.
EACH SERVING About 1 950kJ, 14g fat (2g saturated), 61g carbohydrate (7g total sugars), 42g protein, 4g fibre.