- 6 corn tortillas
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 450g mild chunky tomato salsa
- 450ml chicken stock
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 450g skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled and chopped
- Cut tortillas in half, then cut halves crosswise into 0,5cm-thick strips. In a medium-sized pot, heat oil on medium until shimmering. Add one-third of tortilla strips. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden and crisp, stirring. With a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain. Repeat with remaining tortillas in 2 batches. Discard oil in pan.
- To the same pot, add salsa. Cook for 3 minutes or until thickened. Stir in stock and water. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer. Submerge chicken and half of tortilla strips in liquid. Cover and cook for 12 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in centre. With a slotted spoon, transfer chicken to a plate. With 2 forks, shred chicken into bite-size pieces. Transfer soup to blender and purée until smooth. If necessary, return soup to pot and reheat.
- Divide soup and chicken among bowls. Top with sour cream, avocado and remaining tortilla strips.
Each serving About 2 430kJ, 33g protein, 43g carbohydrate, 30g total fat (7g saturated), 2g fibre, 52mg cholesterol.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter