- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, in skins
- 1 can (410g) chopped tomatoes, well drained
- ¼ cup packed fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- salt and pepper
- 1 (1,3kg to 1,5kg) cut-up chicken (8 pieces)
- Prepare grill or braai for cooking on medium heat.
- Prepare salsa: in a small bowl, soak the onion in cold water. Wrap jalapeno and garlic in foil. Grill or braai for 17 minutes or until vegetables are charred and blackened in spots. Cool. Remove stem, skin and seeds from jalapeno. Peel garlic and chop. Transfer to a food processor along with tomatoes, coriander, lime juice and ½ teaspoon salt. Pulse until finely chopped. Drain onion and stir into mixture.
- Sprinkle ½ teaspoon each of salt and freshly ground black pepper all over chicken. Place on grill or braai, skin-side down. Cover and cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until juices run clear when chicken is pierced with the tip of a knife, turning over once. (Smaller pieces will cook quicker.)
- Serve chicken with salsa.
Each Serving: About 1 779kJ, 43g protein, 7g carbohydrate, 24g total fat (7g saturated), 1g fibre, 134mg cholesterol, 870mg sodium.
Tip: Add ½ teaspoon sugar to tomatoes to soften the tang.