- 225g unsalted butter
- 225g 70% cocoa dark chocolate, chopped into small pieces
- 4 large eggs
- ½ tsp salt
- 200g white sugar
- 240g treacle sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 120g cake fl our
1. Set your oven rack in the middle and preheat to 175°C. Line a 33cm x 23cm x 5cm baking pan with greaseproof paper (allow it to hang over the sides a little) and grease with butter or cooking spray.
2. Bring a pot of water to a boil, then turn off the heat. Mix the butter and chocolate together in a heatproof bowl and set it over the pot of water. Stir occasionally until melted. (Or, melt the butter and chocolate in a bowl in the microwave, stopping every 20 seconds to stir.)
3. Whisk eggs together in a large bowl.
4. Next, whisk in the salt, sugars and vanilla extract. Stir in the chocolate and butter mixture, then fold in the flour with a metal spoon.
5. Pour the batter into the pan and spread evenly. Bake for about 45 minutes or until a shiny crust has formed on top and the consistency is quite firm.
6. Cool completely in the pan on a rack. If you’re not serving the brownies immediately, wrap the pan in clingwrap and keep it at room temperature or in the fridge until the next day.
7. To cut the brownies, first lift them out of the pan using the overhanging greaseproof paper and transfer them to a cutting board. Separate the paper from the edges. Using a sharp knife, trim away edges and cut brownies