- 150g whole–wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup cocoa
- 1⁄4 tsp salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup prepared coffee
- 3⁄4 cup desiccated coconut
1. Preheat oven to 180°C and grease a 20cm x 20cm cake pan.
2. Mix the flour, cocoa and salt in a bowl.
3. Beat the eggs and sugar until smooth, add the vanilla extract and mix again. Add the oil and coffee, and beat until well combined.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well.
5. Scrape mixture into the prepared pan, sprinkle with coconut and tap the pan so that the coconut starts to sink.
6. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove and allow to cool in the pan.
7. Cut into 4cm x 5cm squares and serve as is or with vanilla yoghurt.
TIP: Sweet treats don’t have to be off limits for diabetics, as long as they are part of a healthy meal plan and are combined with exercise.