- 3 cups cake flour (not self-raising flour)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3.4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 2/3 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 450g cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 cups icing sugar
- 170g unsweetened coconut flakes
1. Prepare cake layers: preheat oven to 160°C. Grease three 20cm round cake pans. Line bottoms of pans with baking paper; grease baking paper.
2. In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt and bicarbonate of soda.
3. In another large bowl, with mixer on a low speed, beat butter and sugar until blended. Increase speed to high; beat until light and fluffy. Reduce speed to medium to low; add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping bowl with a rubber spatula. Beat in vanilla.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk coconut cream and buttermilk. On a low speed, add flour mixture alternately with coconut mixture to butter mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture, occasionally scraping bowl with spatula. Beat just until blended. Divide evenly among prepared pans.
5. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centres comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Run a small knife around the side of each layer; invert onto racks. Cool completely. Layers can be made up to 1 day ahead; wrap well and store at room temperature.
6. Prepare cream-cheese icing: in a large bowl, with mixer on a low speed, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Beat in vanilla and salt until incorporated. Gradually beat in icing sugar. Increase speed to medium and beat until fluffy.
7. Assemble cake: place 1 cake layer on cake plate, flat side up. Spread with 3/4 cup icing and top with another cake layer, flat side up. Spread with 3/4 cup icing. Top with remaining cake layer, flat side up. Lightly ice side and top of cake with icing to barely coat. Refrigerate assembled cake and remaining icing for at least 1 hour. Ice top and side of cake with remaining icing. Cover top and side of cake with coconut flakes. Cake can be refrigerated for up to 6 hours. (Cover loosely with cling film.) To serve, let it stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
EACH SERVING: About 2 890kJ, 7g protein, 77g carbohydrate, 40g fat (27g saturated), 2g fibre, 390mg sodium.