- 4 large egg whites
- 1½ cups sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 cups finely shredded desiccated coconut
- 3 tbsp cake flour
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 230g good-quality dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 60g white chocolate, melted (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line 2 baking trays with greaseproof paper.
- In a heavy 2,8-litre saucepan, combine egg whites, sugar and salt. Heat on medium until warm to the touch, stirring. Stir in coconut, flour, cocoa and vanilla. Continue stirring for 4 minutes or until gently sizzling. Remove from heat. Stir in ⅓ cup dark chocolate until melted. With a measuring tablespoon or piping bag, scoop or pipe mixture into balls and place on prepared baking trays, spacing 2,5cm apart.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until set and crisp around edges. Cool completely on baking trays on a wire rack. Store macaroons in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a day or in the freezer for up to 2 weeks.
- In a microwave-safe medium bowl, microwave remaining chocolate on high in 30-second increments until melted and smooth, stirring frequently. Dip tops of macaroons in chocolate to coat. Let them harden on wire racks. Decorate with white chocolate, if desired.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter