- 1/4 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1/4 cup light coconut milk
- 1/8 cup vegetable stock or water
- 1 1/2 tbsp chopped spring onion
- 1/4 cup fresh pomegranate seeds
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1/8 cup toasted pistachio nuts or pumpkin seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh lemon or orange juice
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 2 1/4 tsp olive oil
- In a small pot, combine quinoa, coconut milk, stock and a pinch of salt and pepper, and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook until liquid is absorbed (12 to 15 minutes). Leave lid ajar; allow quinoa to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine spring onion, pomegranate seeds, spinach and nuts.
- In another bowl, mix lemon juice, thyme, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Add cooled quinoa and desired amount of dressing to the large bowl and toss to combine.
GET AHEAD: Making a salad from scratch instead of buying it ready-made can offer bang for your buck, both financially and nutritionally. This one teams protein-rich quinoa and nuts with anti-oxidant packed spinach and pomegranate seeds.
TIPS: Tossing it with dressing in advance allows the grains to absorb all the flavours. For more citrussy punch, set aside some dressing to drizzle on before eating.