- 100ml double cream
- 100ml full-cream milk
- 2 to 3 tbsp coffee liqueur
- 2 large egg yolks
- 25g caster sugar
- 1 tbsp demerara sugar
- Preheat oven to 140°C and put a shallow ovenproof serving dish with roughly 400ml capacity on a baking tray.
- Heat the cream and milk together in a small pan until nearly boiling – there should be small bubbles around the edges of the liquid. Take the pan off the heat and mix in the coffee liqueur, to taste.
- In a medium, heatproof bowl, mix the egg yolks and caster sugar until combined. Gradually mix in the hot cream mixture, then strain into a jug.
- Pour mixture into the serving dish and bake in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes or until the custard is just set. (Tap the dish lightly – the custard should wobble seductively!) Allow to cool completely, then chill for at least 4 hours.
- To serve, preheat the grill to medium. Scatter the demerara sugar over the chilled custard in an even layer, then grill for 2 to 3 minutes or until the sugar has melted and caramelised. Cool and chill for 10 minutes before serving.
Per serving About 1 870kJ, 34g fat (20g saturated), 27g carbohydrate (27g total sugars).
Get ahead Prepare to the end of step 4 up to a day ahead and chill. Complete recipe to serve.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter