- 4 large mealies, husks removed
- 1,2kg bone-in chicken breasts, skin removed
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 5 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 large carrots, chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup cake flour
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh tarragon leaves
- Cut kernels from cobs; set kernels aside. Scrape juices from cobs into a 5 to 6l pot; add cobs, along with chicken, 8 cups water and 1/2 tsp salt. Heat to boiling on high. Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until chicken is cooked, turning chicken breasts occasionally. Remove pot from heat and let cool. Transfer chicken to a large bowl. When cool enough to handle, remove and discard any bones; pull meat into bite-size pieces. Remove and discard cobs from poaching liquid; reserve liquid.
- Meanwhile, in a 7 to 8l pot, heat butter and oil on medium until butter has melted. Add celery, carrots, onion and 1/2 tsp salt. Cook for 10 minutes or until beginning to soften, stirring frequently.
- Sprinkle flour over vegetables; cook for 1 minute, stirring. Stir in reserved poaching liquid and mealie kernels. Heat to boiling on high; boil for 1 minute, stirring. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in evaporated milk, tarragon, reserved chicken, 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper.