- 1 medium onion, cut into 1cm slices
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 whole chicken (about 1,8kg)
- 2/3 cup walnuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup packed fresh mint leaves, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 cup packed fresh basilleaves
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 6 flatbreads, toasted
- Cabbage-kohlrabi Coleslaw (see below)
- Arrange onion in a single layer towards centre of bottom of a 6 to 8 slow-cooker bowl. Combine oil, coriander, cinnamon and 1/2 tsp black pepper; rub all over and inside chicken. With butcher’s twine, tie drumsticks together. Sprinkle all over with 3/4 tsp salt. Place chicken on onion in slow-cooker bowl.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours. Transfer chicken to a chopping board.
- In a blender, purée 1 cup liquid from slow cooker with onion, walnuts, mint, basil, lemon juice and 1/4 tsp salt until smooth. Serve chicken with herb sauce, flatbreads and Cabbage-kohlrabi Coleslaw.
- Toss together 4 cups thinly sliced red cabbage; 2 small bulbs kohlrabi, peeled and cut into matchsticks; 1 cucumber, centre removed, cut into matchsticks; 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh parsley; 2 spring onions, thinly sliced on an angle; 1/4 cup lemon juice; and 1/4 tsp salt.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter