- 3 ripe Packham or Forelle pears, cored and thinly sliced
- cup apple cider
- tsp blend of cinnamon, nutmeg, ground ginger and allspice
- ¾ cup quick-cooking oats
- ¾ cup cake flour
- ½ cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1¾ cups low-fat buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil, plus additional for pan
- In a four-litre pot, heat pears, cider and spices to boiling on medium high. Reduce heat; simmer for 30 minutes or until very tender, stirring.
- In a bowl, mix oats, flours, sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt. Whisk in buttermilk, eggs and oil.
- Brush a 30cm nonstick frying pan with oil, and heat on medium for one minute. Working in batches, pour batter into pan (¼ cupful per crumpet). Cook for two minutes or until bottoms are golden (edges will look dry). Turn over and cook for two minutes or until bottoms are golden. Transfer to a warm platter. Repeat, with more oil if needed.
- Serve with pear syrup.
EACH SERVING About 1 932kJ,14g protein, 72g carbohydrate, 15g total fat (2g saturated), 8g ﬁbre, 110mg cholesterol, 590mg sodium.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter