- 1 orange
- 4 limes
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp ground cumin salt and pepper
- 1 sirloin steak (340g and 1cm thick)
- 1 large red pepper
- 420g dried black beans (soaked overnight, drained and cooked)
- 2 cups fresh or frozen (thawed) corn kernels
- Into a small bowl, finely grate 1 teaspoon of peel and squeeze 2 tablespoons of juice from the orange; finely grate 1 teaspoon of peel and squeeze ¼ cup of juice from 2 of the limes. Stir in garlic, cumin and ⅛ teaspoon each of salt and black pepper.
- Place steak in a resealable bag. Add half of citrus mixture. Seal bag; turn to coat. Let it stand. Chop pepper, rinse and drain the cooked beans, and cut remaining limes in half.
- Heat a 30cm heavy skillet on high. Coat steak lightly with nonstick cooking spray; add to pan. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes per side for medium-rare (60°C) or until cooked as desired. Transfer to a cutting board.
- To the skillet, add red pepper and corn. Cook for 3 minutes or until tender, stirring. Add beans, remaining citrus mixture, ¼ cup of water and ⅛ teaspoon each of salt and black pepper. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until mostly dry, stirring. Slice steak. Serve with bean mixture and limes.
EACH SERVING About 1 444kJ, 26g protein, 34g carbohydrate, 12g total fat (5g saturated), 8g ﬁbre, 64mg cholesterol, 215mg sodium
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter