FOR THE CAKE
- 250ml cake flour
- 30ml cocoa powder
- 10ml baking powder
- 250ml caster sugar
- 125ml canola oil
- 125ml boiling water
- 4 extra-large eggs, separated
- 5ml baking powder
FOR THE ICING
- 1 can (360g) caramel condensed milk
- 45ml apricot jam
- 30ml desiccated coconut
- 4 cups icing sugar
- 60ml cocoa powder
- 250g butter, room temperature
- 10ml rum essence (optional)
- about 75ml water
- cherries and toasted flaked almonds for decorating
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Butter and line two cake pans.
3. Sift the flour, cocoa, 10ml baking powder and caster sugar together in a bowl.
4. Mix the oil and water together and add to the dry ingredients.
5. Beat the egg yolks and add to the mixture, mixing well. Using clean beaters, beat the egg whites together with the 5ml baking powder until stiff. Gently fold into the cake mixture.
6. Divide the mixture between the two prepared pans. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the cakes pull away from the sides of the pans. Turn out and allow to cool on a cooling rack before cutting each cake in half horizontally to make four layers.
7. For the icing, mix the caramel condensed milk and apricot jam together. Divide the mixture in half and add coconut to one half.
8. Sift the icing sugar and cocoa together. Cream the butter and gradually add the icing-sugar mixture. Add the rum, if using, and the water and beat in, adding a little more water if it’s too stiff.
9. To assemble the cake, place the bottom layer on a serving plate. Spread with a quarter of the icing-sugar mixture. Place the second cake layer on top and spread with the caramel condensed milk and coconut mixture.
10. Place the third layer on top and spread with another quarter of the icing-sugar mixture.
11. Place the last layer of cake on top and spread with the caramel condensed milk and jam mixture. Ice the sides of the cake with the remaining icing-sugar mixture.
12. Decorate with cherries and toasted flaked almonds.
TIP: Make sure the eggs are at room temperature and not straight out of the fridge.